This blog is the official news source for information on the Indiana Gamma chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. All stories, views, and pictures are contributed by Sigma Alpha Epsilon Sigma Alpha Epsilon brothers.
The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in “The True Gentleman.”
SAE Indiana Gamma History
For many years, Indiana Gamma has had a rich tradition in the Greek community. We are actively work to instill this involvement so that each brother receives the best experience while encountering his studies and transition into a True Gentleman here at Indiana University.
The original SAE fraternity house was located south of 3rd street. The exact location is unknown. Around the 1920, the brothers of Indiana Gamma moved into what would be the fraternity’s first official house- right across the street from Delta Gamma on what is now the Read Center parking garage and the house that caught fire in November of 1969.On November 8, 1969, the SAE fraternity house went up in flames. As recorded by the IDS article the following day and as you see here, the house was badly damaged and little was saved from the house- 42 years old at the time.
SAE then moved to Green Hall on the evening/morning after the fire, behind the Beta house until the beginning of the second semester. In January 1970, they moved into Coulter Hall in GRC for that semester before purchasing/renting from the university, the old Phi Mu house at 109 N. Jordan. SAE then lived there for two years, while our house corporation worked to either build a new house or buy us a better house. At the beginning of 1973-74 school year, the brothers of SAE then took possession of what was formerly Sammy’s house on South Jordan, the current location of the fraternity property of SAE. It was located at 1115 N. Jordan Ave.
The SAE house had been sitting abandoned and boarded up for nearly 6 years when another fire occurred during the 06-07 school year, this time at 1115 N. Jordan. The IDS did the fraternity further injustice by reporting that it had been the abandoned Skulls house that had caught fire, mentioning nothing about SAE getting the house completely wrong. In any event, it was time for the house to have the best thing that could happen to it; be demolished. In September of 2007, that’s exactly what happened. However, the story doesn’t end there…updated history coming soon!